welcome. everything I write here is something I felt to be important to some degree; game reviews, life updates/vents, and philosophical musings. I do my best to make my statements truthful. everyone is welcome to post comments, provided they are relevant.

6.10.2005

trend of anime-style games w/ horrible voice acting?

is the voice-acting pool really this bad, or is it just the directors or lack thereof? i just rented Musashi: Samurai Legends and Y's: The Ark of Napishtim.

though Y's is not really all that bad, the abundance of not-so-good voice acting makes me wince. it'd be better off with no voice acting, really. the gameplay is good though, it reminds me of sprite-based adventures, but in 3-d. a'course, not having a game manual doesn't help me too much. though your character is small on-screen, he's got a sword and can jump around, so it could get pretty intense. i still die too much though.

Musashi though... it fucking pisses me off. the voice for the Musashi is some ridiculous whiny kid's voice, and you can TELL nobody had any directing and they're just reading what's shoved in front of them... but GOD, I HATE MUSASHI'S VOICE. the game is ok, it involves hacking and slashing, but the pacing is a bit slow, i should be able to kick more ass a lot faster, and not get done in by the smallest enemy in the game just because they run away from me at the same speed i chase them and attack my back! FuCK. and, there's no low-health warning. i die alot in this game. and get sent back 3 screens to the last checkpoint, unless it's a boss. fucking hassle. and it's a SQUARE ENIX game.

Edit: It's not just that Musashi's voice is annoying either, but the character looks like a bad-ass young adult. it doesn't fit! his voice could have been done by a manly girl and still sound better than what he's got!

ah well, that's why we rent games before we buy them. I've pretty much lost all faith in Square Enix now.

No comments: