welcome. everything I write here is something I felt to be important to some degree; game reviews, life updates/vents, and philosophical musings. I do my best to make my statements truthful. everyone is welcome to post comments, provided they are relevant.

11.05.2006

semantics

so I was looking at a quote from bash.org and it got me thinking. using "Jesus" in this context confuses a lot of people, mostly non-christians, and probably a fair amount of christians that have no clue what they're talking about. why? most people (with no head for religion or metaphor) will take the word Jesus as a reference to the actual person, who lived, died, and had a few books written about him, 2000ish years ago. However, most people forget why Jesus is still such a popular word. sure, having "died for our sins" is the most frequently pushed angle, but that's even more confusing than the linked quote.

simply put, the way I see it, Jesus is meant to stand for love and understanding of our fellow man. (don't you dare bring patriarchal bias into this. we're all homo sapiens.) this is the best way I can translate the use of his name in most contexts today. this should clear up some misunderstandings with those fanatics that don't know proper english but still want to "spread the word."

No comments: